Tuesday, October 7, 2008

There is a "Gene" lurking

Because most of you reading this share my gene pool, I want to alert you to a "gene" you might want to be aware of.

A couple of months ago I endured a weekend of muscle spasms that were extremely painful and made me aware that something was not right. The following Monday I had a visit with the chiropractor and after examining the x-rays, informed me that I had scoliosis and had had it for quite sometime, possibly since adolescence. He told me that I was very fortunate that it had not bothered me before this (considering my age), and he was also quite surprised that it had never been diagnosed.

So, since that time my life has revolved around a 3-month chiropractic therapy schedule which includes multiple weekly visits, short walks (10-15 minutes) , stretching exercises, and heat and ice on the back all several times a day.

He said it tends to show up in girls more than boys and usually skips a generation. I just wanted you all to be aware and watch for signs in your children or yourselves.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

See, you have something to say!! Can scoliosis be a rounding of the shoulders, or is that something differant? I hope this gene skips me. Is your back feeling any better?
k

Kendi said...

Did you suffer with back pain before? I am just wondering because very often I suffer with back pain that can is quite severe. Maybe I need to look into this a little bit. Would you mind sharing a little bit of what your symptoms were and then I can see if they even compare with what I deal with? My email is kendi_chase@yahoo.com. Thanks. Love you.
Kendi

Unknown said...

Hi my friend, Aunt Nancy!

I didn't know you had a blog until last night! Where have I been? I am so excited to now be able to peek in on you more. Looking at the pictures of your grandkids amaze me! They look like little Chips and Allisons!--True Linkenhokers!

I was saddened to hear about your back condition and I appreciate you sharing the info. I didn't know about this gene either. I really hope your chiropractic therapy reduces your discomfort.

I love you much!

Katie and Dennis said...

Thanks for the heads up! I will surely be watching my girls. I remember being checked for scoliosis in P.E. in 7th and 8th grade and hating it because you had to take off your shirt. I don't know if they do that anymore. And I didn't know it was hereditary. I hope you can get the help you need!

Darcee said...

Cache didn't pass his scoliosis test last year. When we took him to the doctor, he said it was not enough to worry about. We have to watch it, but hopefully it will be okay. I didn't know it ran in our family.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.